King by T.M. Frazier
Books in King Series: 9 (this is book 1)
Published: June 15, 2015 by Frazier Publishing
Genres: Dark romance
Source: Purchased via Amazon Kindle
Rating: 5/5 stars
Doe has no memories of who she is or where she comes from.
A notorious career criminal just released from prison, King is someone you don’t want to cross unless you’re prepared to pay him back in blood, sweat, sex or a combination of all three.
King’s future hangs in the balance. Doe’s is written in her past. When they come crashing together, they will have to learn that in order to hold on, sometimes you have to first let go.
Warning: This book contains graphic violence, consensual and nonconsensual sex, drug use, abuse, and other taboo subjects and adult subject matter.
I would note, if the words "trigger warning" give you pause, you might want to pass on this one.
This is book 1 of a 9 book series that features the self-proclaimed "three f*cketeers" - brothers from another mother King, Bear, and Preppy.
The men became friends as kids and formed their own dysfunctional little family.
They will kill without a second thought but are loyal to each other to a fault. When you become part of their family, they'll do anything for you.
Book 1, King, focuses on the relationship between King and Doe, and it does not disappoint. Dual POV. A great dark romance.
What I liked:
- Excellent character development.
- The rock solid relationships formed.
- The loyalty the characters show each other.
- How the characters overcome adversity.
- The gritty, dark atmosphere.
- Preppy (aka Samuel Clearwater)! What a gem! He is one of my all-time favorite characters (and is why I chose to review this series).
What I didn't like:
- The belt bracelets King likes to wear. I don't like them.
- It contains very dark topics and LOTS of strong language - I'm okay with that but others might not be so I wanted to note it.
- "I’d found myself again in the haunted eyes of a girl who was just as lost as I was. Or maybe, we didn’t find each other at all. Maybe, we just decided to be lost together."
- "Because when it comes to me and mine, I am the judge. I am the jury. And if need be, I am the motherfucking executioner.”
- “Don’t get all fucking butt hurt about it, Bear. King doesn’t even trust me around her, and I only wanted to take her out on a date, and maybe put the tip in a little, but noooooo.” - Preppy
This is a gritty, dark read but the characters really make it work. There is a cliffhanger, and King & Doe's story continues in Book 2.
This series is one of my absolute favorites. Check it out on Amazon!
Other book reviews for the King series:
N9ne (Book 9) - Nine & Lenny (review coming soon - see the book on Amazon)